Laboratory of Experimental Hydroecology offers a variety of research projects under the supervision of Dr. Michail Gladyshev, head of the laboratory, and the faculty of the Chair of Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems of SibFU.
Dr., Prof. Michail Gladyshev
Research position: Head of Laboratory of Experimental Hydroecology, Institute of Biophysics Russian Academy of Sciences, Siberian Branch, Krasnoyarsk, Russia, Professor, Chair of Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems of Siberian Federal University.
- trophic and metabolic interactions in food webs of aquatic ecosystems
- fatty acids in aquatic organisms (from algae to fish)
- polyunsaturated fatty acids in human nutrition
- fluxes of matter and energy in food webs of aquatic ecosystems and between aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems
- biophysics of the surface microlayer of aquatic ecosystems
- identification of feeding spectra of aquatic animals using biomarker and stable isotope analyses
- zooplankton mortality
- biodegradation of organic pollutants in aquatic ecosystems
- Gladyshev, M. I. 2002. Biophysics of the surface microlayer of aquatic ecosystems. IWA Publishing: London. — 148 p.
Journals from Web of Science:
- Gladyshev, M. I., Malyshevsky, K. G. (1982) Daily vertical migrations of the benthoneuston in the Vostok Bay, Sea of Japan. Biologiya Morya — Marine Biology 2: 20–23.
- Gladyshev, M. I. (1990) Concept of biogeocenosis from the standpoint of the general theory of systems. Soviet Journal of Ecology 21: 166–172.
- Gladyshev, M. I. (1991) Experimental study of the influence of zooneuston organisms on the temperature of water-surface layer. Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR 320: 1489–1490.
- Gladyshev, M. I. (1991) Comparison of rates of oxygen transference through cold and warm surface-film of water. Izvestiya Akademii Nauk SSSR Fizika Atmosfery i Okeana 27: 1251–1255.
- Gladyshev, M. I., Gribovskaya, I. V., Adamovich, V. V. (1993) Disappearance of phenol in water samples taken from the Yenisey river and the Krasnoyarsk reservoir. Water Research 27: 1063–1070.
- Gladyshev, M. I., Kalachova, G. S., Sushchik, N. N. (1993) Free fatty acids of surface-film of water in the Sydinsky Bay of the Krasnoyarsk Reservoir. Internationale Revue Der Gesamten Hydrobiologie 78: 575–587.
- Gladyshev, M. I., Sushchik, N. N. (1994) Effect of monomolecular layer of fatty acid on temperature of surface water film. Izvestiya Akademii Nauk SSSR Fizika Atmosfery i Okeana 30: 74–78.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Kalachova G. S., Shchur L. A. (1998) The effect of algal blooms on the disappearance of phenol in a small forest pond. Water Research 32: 2769–2775.
- Gladyshev M. I., Emelianova A. Y., Kalachova G. S., Zotina, T. A., Gaevsky N. A., Zhilenkov, M.D. (2000) Gut content analysis of Gammarus lacustris from a Siberian lake using biochemical and biophysical methods. Hydrobiologia 431: 155–163.
- Gladyshev M. I., Gribovskaya I. V., Moskvicheva A. V., Muchkina E. Y., Chuprov, S. M., Ivanova, E. A. Content of metals in compartments of ecosystem of a Siberian pond (2001) Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 41: 157–162.
- Gladyshev M. I., Dubovskaya O. P., Gubanov V. G., Makhutova O. N. (2003) Evaluation of non-predatory mortality of two Daphnia species in a Siberian reservoir. Journal of Plankton Research 25: 999–1003.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Gubanenko G. A., Demirchieva S. M., Kalachova G. S. (2006) Effect of way of cooking on content of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids in muscle tissue of humpback salmon (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha). Food Chemistry 96: 446–451.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Kalachova G. S., Dubovskaya O. P., Makhutova O. N. (2006) Influence of sestonic elemental and essential fatty acid contents in a eutrophic reservoir in Siberia on population growth of Daphnia (longispina group) Journal of Plankton Research 28: 907–917.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Gubanenko G. A., Demirchieva S. M., Kalachova G. S. (2007) Effect of boiling and frying on the content of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids in muscle tissue of four fish species. Food Chemistry 101: 1694–1700.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Kolmakova A. A., Kalachova G. S., Kravchuk E. S., Ivanova E. A., Makhutova O. N. (2007) Seasonal correlations of elemental and ω3 PUFA composition of seston and dominant phytoplankton species in a eutrophic Siberian Reservoir. Aquatic Ecology 41: 9–23.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Dubovskaya O. P., Makhutova O. N., Kalachova G. S. (2008) Growth rate of Daphnia feeding on seston in a Siberian reservoir: the role of essential fatty acid. Aquatic Ecology 42: 617–627.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Anishchenko O. V., Makhutova O. N., Kalachova G. S., Gribovskaya I. V. (2009) Benefit-risk ratio of food fish intake as the source of essential fatty acids vs. heavy metals: A case study of Siberian grayling from the Yenisei River. Food Chemistry 115: 545–550.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Makhutova O. N., Kalachova G. S. (2009) Content of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids in three canned fish species. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 60: P. 224–230.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Makhutova O. N., Dubovskaya O. P., Kravchuk E. S., Kalachova G. S., Khromechek E. B. (2010) Correlations between fatty acid composition of seston and zooplankton and effects of environmental parameters in a eutrophic Siberian reservoir. Limnologica 40: 343–357.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Anishchenko O. V., Makhutova O. N., Kolmakov V. I., Kalachova G. S., Kolmakova A. A., Dubovskaya O. P. (2011) Efficiency of transfer of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids versus organic carbon from producers to consumers in a eutrophic reservoir. Oecologia 165: 521–531.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Kalachova G. S., Makhutova O. N. (2012) Stable isotope composition of fatty acids in organisms of different trophic levels in the Yenisei River. PLoS ONE 7(3): e34059.
- Gladyshev M. I., Lepskaya E. V., Sushchik N. N., Makhutova O. N., Kalachova G. S., Malyshevskaya K. K., Markevich G. N. (2012) Comparison of polyunsaturated fatty acids content in filets of anadromous and landlocked sockeye salmon Oncorhynchus nerka. Journal of Food Science 77: 1306–1310.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Makhutova O. N. (2013) Production of EPA and DHA in aquatic ecosystems and their transfer to the land. Prostaglandins and Other Lipid Mediators 107: 117–126.
- Gladyshev M. I., Kolmakova O. V., Tolomeev A. P., Anishchenko O. V., Makhutova O. N., Kolmakova A. A., Kravchuk E. S., Glushchenko L. A., Kolmakov V. I., Sushchik N. N. (2015) Differences in organic matter and bacterioplankton between sections of the largest Arctic river: Mosaic or continuum? Limnology and Oceanography 60: 1314–1331.
- Gladyshev M. I., Makhutova O. N., Gubanenko G. A., Rechkina E. A., Kalachova G. S., Sushchik N. N. (2015) Livers of terrestrial production animals as a source of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids for humans: An alternative to fish? European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology 117: 1417–1421.
- Gladyshev M. I., Sushchik N. N., Dubovskaya O. P., Buseva Z. F., Makhutova O. N., Fefilova E. B., Feniova I. Y., Semenchenko V. P., Kolmakova A. A., Kalachova G. S. (2015) Fatty acid composition of Cladocera and Copepoda from lakes of contrasting temperature. Freshwater Biology 60: 373–386.
- Gladyshev M. I., Makhutova O. N., Kravchuk E. S., Anishchenko O. V., Sushchik N. N. (2016) Stable isotope fractionation of fatty acids of Daphnia fed laboratory cultures of microalgae. Limnologica 56: 23–29.
(this period can be shorter depending on the availability of a PhD thesis)
Apply to The Centre for International Education and Certified Testing for a certificate if you do not have it, the Russian language preparatory course is available.
|Tuition fee:||€ 2,600. The cost does not include accommodation and living expenses.|
|Accommodation:||On-campus accommodation is available: single ensuite room 45 € per month, twin ensuite room 30 € per month.|
|Practicalities:||Airport transfer, invitation letter for a Russian study visa and an optional survival course of Russian as a foreign language are provided by the University.|
Research may be focused on the following aspects of hydrobiology:
- Exploring trophic relations within aquatic systems and between aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems using biomarkers, such as fatty acids (including polyunsaturated fatty acids) and amino acids;
- Tracing trophic webs in aquatic ecosystems using stable isotopes;
- Studying aquatic ecosystems productivity (primary production is evaluated using chlorophyll fluorescence techniques);
- Fatty acids including polyunsaturated fatty acids in human diet (fatty acids are analyzed using the gas chromatography — mass spectrometry GC-MS);
- Biodiversity, bioindication and biotesting in surface waters.
|Course||Time spent (in hours)|
|Selected issues of contemporary hydroecology||2 (72)|
|Bioindication and biotesting in aquatic ecosystems||2 (72)|
|Productivity of aquatic ecosystems||2 (72)|
|Methods of studying aquatic ecisystems||2 (72)|
|Processing of experimental data||3 (108)|
|Methodology of PhD Thesis Preparation||3 (108)|
|ICT in scientific research||3 (108)|
|Academic English||3 (108)|
|Basic English||3 (108)|
|Russian (fee will apply)||3 (108)|
Dr., Prof. Michail I. Gladyshev
Laboratory of Experimental Hydroecology, Institute of Biophysics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Siberian Branch, Krasnoyarsk, Russia, Chair of Aquatic and Terrestrial Ecosystems at Siberian Federal University
tel.: +7 391 249-45-17
Please contact our Doctoral and Post-doctoral, Faculty Performance Evaluation Office
e-mail: aspirantura [at] sfu-kras [dot] ru
phone: +7 391 391-28-31
fax: +7 391 291-28-31
address: 79 Svobodny pr., room P6-16, Krasnoyarsk, 660041 Russia