Department of Thermal Engineering and Fluid Dynamics offers a PhD programme centered around cavitation nanotechnology.
Professor Vladimir Kulagin
Head, Department of Heat Technology and Fluid Dynamics at Polytechnic School, Siberian Federal University, Krasnoyarsk, Russia
- 2016 — research fellow at the European Academy of Natural Sciences (Düsseldorf, Germany).
- 2016 — visiting professor to Zhejiang University (Hangzhou, China).
- 2016 — visiting professor to Far Eastern Federal University (Vladivostok, Russia).
- 2013 — certificate in Methodology of Project Management in Quality Assurance of Master Programmes (Moscow, Moscow State Technical University of Information Technologies, Radio Engineering and Electronics).
- 2013 — visiting professor to Harbin Institute of Technology (Harbin, China).
- 1985–1998 — leading research fellow (High-pressure Hydraulic Laboratory at the Krasnoyarsk Hydroelectric Plant), Associate Professor, Department of Mechanics of Fluids, Krasnoyarsk, Russia.
- 1985 — research assistant, Chair of Aerodynamics, Kalinin Leningrad Polytechnic Institute, Leningrad, Russia.
- 1972–1977 — research fellow, postgraduate student, postdoctoral researcher Department of Compressor Industry, Kalinin Leningrad Polytechnic Institute, Leningrad, Russia.
- Teaching at postgraduate level:
- 01.02.05 — Mechanics of Fluids and Plasma;
- 05.14.01 — Power Systems and Complexes;
- 05.14.04 — Industrial Heat Engineering;
- 01.04.14 — Thermal Physics and Theoretical Heat Engineering;
- 05.16.06 — Powder Metallurgy and Compositional Materials;
- 05.23.04 — Water Supply, Sewerage, Constructions of Water Resources Protection.
Area of scientific interests:
- theoretical and experimental research of multi-phase supercavitation flows – cavitation nanotechnology;
- hydrodynamics of high speeds;
- mathematical modeling and numerical study of supercavitaion flows;
- development of industrial applications of cavitation technologies;
- energy and resource saving technologies for urban life support, cavitation conditioning of natural and sewer waters;
- composite fuels based on water suspensions (emulsions) and nanotechnologies;
- new nanomaterials, nanocomposites, and coatings and their industrial applications.
- Feng-Chen Li, N. Demidenko, V. Kulagin et al. Simulation and Optimal Control of the Heat and Mass Transfer Processes. Advances in Materials and Mechanics. Higher Education Press, Beijing, 2016. 450 p. (in Chinese);
- N. Demidenko, V. Kulagin, Yu. Shokin, Feng-Chen Li. Heat and Mass Transfer and Supercavitaion. Novosibirsk: Nauka, 2015. 436 p. (in Russian);
- V. Murko, A. Dzhundubaev, M. Baranova, A. Biibosunov, V. Kulagin. Hydrotransport Fuel and Energy Complexes. Russian and Kyzyl Research and Engineering Cooperation in the Field of Heat Power Engineering. Krasnoyarsk: SibFU, 2015. 250p. (in Russian);
- N. Demidenko, V. Kulagin, Yu. Shokin. Modelling and calculation of the distributing systems technology. Novosibirsk: Nauka, 2012. 424p. (in Russia).
Publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals indexed in the Scopus or Web of Science data bases or Russian Science Citation Index:
- V. Kulagin, B. Moskvichev, N. Makhutov, D. Markovich, Yu. Shokin. Aspects of Physical and Mathematical Modelling in Hydrodynamics of High Speeds at the facilities of Krasnoyarsk Hydroelectric Power Plant. Vestnik RAS, 2016. (in Russian);
- V. Kulagin. Numerical study of supercavitating of the pump. J. Sib. Fed. Univ. Eng. technol. 2015. 8 (5). 317323, DOI: 10.17516/1999-494X-2015-8-5-669-674;
- Zheng Z.Y., Li Q., Li FengChen, Kulagin V. Numerical study on parameter selection for steam extraction of rotational supercavitating evaporator [J] Journal of University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2016, 33(2): 247252. Doi: 10.7523/j.issn.2095-6134.2016.02.016;
- D. Likhachev, V. Kulagin, Feng-Chen Li. Modeling supercavitating flow in supercavitating pumps, Proceedings of International Conference on Pumps and Fans (ICPF 2015), October 18-21, 2015, Hangzhou, China;
- Qian Li, Zheng Z Y, Feng-Chen Li, V. Kulagin. Numerical study of the thermophysical characteristics of rotational supercavitating evaporator, Proceedings of International Conference on Pumps and Fans (ICPF 2015), October 18-21, 2015, Hangzhou, China;
- Zheng Z Y, Qian Li, Feng-Chen Li, Vl. Kulagin Numerical study of the performance of rotational supercavitating evaporator with optimized blade shape, Proceedings of International Conference on Pumps and Fans (ICPF 2015), October 18-21, 2015, Hangzhou, China;
- Zheng Z Y, Qian Li, Feng-Chen Li, V. Kulagin. Numerical study of the characteristics of natural supercavitation by planar symmetric wedgeshaped cavitators for rotational supercavitating evaporator. Sci China Tech Sci, 2015, 58: 1-12, doi: 10.1007/s11431-015-5827-y;
- Zheng Zhiying, Qian Li, Feng-Chen Li, V. Kulagin, Numerical study of parameter selection for steam extraction of rotational supercavitating evaporator, Journal of University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2015.
- D.Likhachev, Feng-Chen Li, V. Kulagin. Experimental study of the performance of a rotational supercavitating evaporator for desalination. Sci. China. Tech. Sci., 2014, 57: 2115–2130, doi: 10.1007/s11431-014-5631-0;
- L. Kashkina, V. Kulagin, T. Emelyanova, O. Stebeleva. Nanomodificators based on cavitationally activate wood carbon-black. Journal of International Scientific Publications: Materials, Methods Technologies (Bulgaria), 2013. Vol. 7, Part 2. www.scientific-publications.ne;
- V. Kulagin, O. Stebeleva, L. Kashkina, L. Kulagina. Production of Carbonaceous Nanostructures Using the Methods of Cavitation Technologies. Chemical and Petroleum Engineering. 2010. Vol. 47. № 12. 222234.
(this period can be shorter depending on the availability of a PhD thesis)
Apply to The Centre for International Education and Certified Testing for a certificate if you do not have it, the Russian language preparatory course is available.
|Tuition fee:||€ 2,400. The cost does not include accommodation and living expenses.|
|Accommodation:||On-campus accommodation is available: single ensuite room 45 € per month, twin ensuite room 30 € per month.|
|Practicalities:||Airport transfer, invitation letter for a Russian study visa and an optional survival course of Russian as a foreign language are provided by the University.|
Doctoral students may focus on studying:
- flows of multiphase fluids (gas-liquid flow, aerosols, suspensions, and emulsions);
- physical and chemical fluid mechanics (flows with processes of performing chemical reactions, combustion, detonation, phase transitions, radiation, etc.);
- fluid flow, cavitation in liquids;
- cavitation treatment of multicomponent media.
An interesting topic connected with topics 1-4 and proposed by applicants.
|Course||Time spent (in hours)|
|Basics of cavitation processing of multicomponent compounds||2 (72)|
|Simulation and optimization of systems with distributed parameters||2 (72)|
|Modern models on convective motions||2 (72)|
|Processing of experimental data||3 (108)|
|Methodology of PhD Thesis Preparation||3 (108)|
|ICT in scientific research||3 (108)|
|Academic English||3 (108)|
|Basic English||3 (108)|
|Russian (fee will apply)||3 (108)|
Professor Vladimir Kulagin
Head, Department of Heat Technology and Fluid Dynamics at Polytechnic School, Siberian Federal University
tel.: +7 902 991-89-27
Please contact our Doctoral and Post-doctoral, Faculty Performance Evaluation Office
e-mail: aspirantura [at] sfu-kras [dot] ru
phone: +7 391 391-28-31
fax: +7 391 291-28-31
address: 79 Svobodny pr., room P6-16, Krasnoyarsk, 660041 Russia