FAQ | Siberian Federal University


About the borders opening

According to the letter No. MN-7/7226 of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation dated 01.09.2021, an algorithm for organizing work in relation to foreign students arriving in the Russian Federation for the purpose of studying in educational institutions of higher education from all foreign countries, regardless of the renewal flights with them, has been approved.

In other words, now all foreign students are allowed to enter the Russian Federation, regardless of whether there is an air connection with the country from where the student is staying or not.

About entering the Russian Federation

According to the Procedure for admission of foreign citizens studying at SibFU to the educational process of the 2020-2021 academic year, a foreign student must:

  1. How will the academic year start for international students?

    Those who are in Krasnoyarsk will study face-to-face, while those who are not in Russia will study online. The format and schedule should be specified in a specific Institute or on the website.

  2. Is it possible to cross the border overland for the purpose of entering "study"?

    Yes, the land border, as well as the air border, is open for entry.

    In order for a student to set the purpose of entry "study" at the border, it is necessary to inform the university in a timely manner (10 days in advance) by filling out the Arrival form from the International Students and Staff Support Office of SibFU.

    When entering the Russian Federation, it is recommended to have a printed certificate confirming that a foreign citizen is a student of SibFU. You can request a certificate from the educational department of the school where a foreign student is studying.

  3. Why is it necessary to notify the university of your arrival 10 days in advance?

    According to the Order of the Government of the Russian Federation No. 639-r dated 16.03.2021, the university must enter the necessary data into Gosuslugi 10 days before the student's arrival.

    If a student is not on the lists, it will not be possible to cross the border.

  4. Where and for how long does self-isolation take place?

    Self-isolation lasts for 3 days, during which foreign students undergo a mandatory retest for COVID-19 using the PCR method.

    Students living in corridor-type dormitories are isolated in specialized rooms.

    Students living in apartment-type dormitories are isolated in their dormitory.

    If the test result is negative, a foreign student starts full-time training on day 4, and also compulsorily come to the Protocol Department (79/10 Svobodny pr., Room B1-03) for migration registration (for citizens of Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine) or to receive a notification form for migration registration at the place of stay (for citizens of other countries).

  5. What are the living conditions in the dormitory for self-isolating students?

    All rooms in which foreign students are settled are provided with a set of dishes. To ensure prompt communication with the arrived foreign students, the university provides them with free Wi-Fi in places of self-isolation, provided that it is passed on campus.

    During the 3-day stay in the dormitory on self-isolation, the purchase of food and basic necessities can be carried out from the student's own funds through delivery.

  6. Why do I need to take a PCR test for COVID-19 again?

    The test, which is taken on the territory of your country, is necessary to provide at the border when entering the Russian Federation.

    The repeated test for 1-2 days of self-isolation is necessary for admission to the educational and academic buildings on the university campus.

    Without providing a negative test upon arrival in Krasnoyarsk, the student will not be able to start classes.

  7. Where can I undergo the COVID-19 test?

    The test for COVID-19 can be taken at the Federal Medical-Biological Agency of Russia at the address 82/13 Svobodny pr., every weekday from 08:00 to 14:00. The cost of the test is 1,600 rubles (non-cash payment). You need to take your passport and mask with you.

  8. How is the migration registration procedure going?

    For the migration registration at the place of stay, citizens of all countries (except citizens of Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine) must send photos or scans of all pages of a passport, a migration card (both sides) and a voluntary health insurance policy to nanisiferova@sfu-kras.ru. It must be done within 3 working days from the date of arrival in Krasnoyarsk.

    Citizens of Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Ukraine undergo the procedure of migration registration at the place of stay in person after the end of the self-isolation regime in the Protocol Department (79/10 Svobodny pr., Room B1-03) of SibFU.

    For migration registration, you need to bring the following documents:

    • a passport;
    • 2 copies of the passport (only pages with marks);
    • a migration card;
    • 2 copies of the migration card (of both sides);
    • an insurance (can be ordered in the ISSSO);
    • a certificate from a dormitory (you need to get it from a dormitory supervisor);
    • a printed test result for COVID-19.

    Documents receiving hours:

    • Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 09:00-12:00
    • Tuesday, Thursday: 13:00-16:00

    Contacts of the Protocol Department:

    • Tel.: +7 (391) 206-39-44
    • Address: 79/10 Svobodny pr. (SibFU Library), Room B1-03
  9. Where can a student purchase insurance coverage?

    The VHI policy can be ordered through the International Students and Staff Support Office.

    The list of insurance offers can be clarified on the SibFU website in the section "Medical insurance" or requested in the International Students and Staff Support Office.

    Freshmen can receive compensation for the money spent on insurance.

  10. Can freshmen receive travel and insurance reimbursement?

    Yes, they can.

    According to the Order on the implementation of measures to support students, first-year students studying at the expense of budget allocations from the federal budget can reimburse

    • the cost of insurance (up to 4,500 rubles);
    • travel expenses to Krasnoyarsk.

    For all questions, please contact the International Students and Staff Support Office, as well as by phone +7 902 966-13-60.

  11. Where can I go for clarification if I have questions?

    To the International Students and Staff Support Office of SibFU:

    • E-mail: oska@sfu-kras.ru
    • Tel.: +7 (391) 206-26-67
    • WhatsApp: +7 902 966-13-60
    • VK page: @hellosibfu
    • VK group: @internationalsibfu
    • Instagram: @sibfu_world
    • Address: 82/1 Svobodny pr., Building No. 24 (A), Room 2-27

    Hotline of the Situation Centre of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation on the basis of Moscow Aviation Institute (consulting support for foreign students)
    +7 (495) 198-00-00, scminobr@mail.ru

About dormitory check-in

All places will be assigned to a specific student, and the Deputy Directors for Mentoring at your Institute will prepare the settlement orders on the basis of the enrollment orders.
To check in, you must have the following documents:

  • 6 photos (3x4);
  • a copy of your passport (without registration in Krasnoyarsk);
  • chest X-ray certificate.

We recommend you to carry at all times:

  • a mask and gloves;
  • a pen (with the blue ink);
  • 3 copies filled out of your rental agreement for the residential premises at your dormitory.

If an increased temperature is detected in a newcomer, they must be sent to a doctor for examination, if necessary — to the SibFU medical center.

Addresses of medical examination points:

  • ул. Киренского, 11Б, кабинет №6, тел. 291-25-70;
  • пер. Вузовский, 6Д, кабинет терапевта, тел. 206-39-14, 206-39-15;
  • пр. Свободный, 82, стр.11, каб. 103 (МФК-2).

Upon all the issues you can consult the following departments:

About SibFU

  1. Why Russia?

    Russians have rich, centuries-old educational traditions. Russian universities provide their students with comfortable studying and living conditions and help them adapt to the country. Russian universities train a wide variety of specialists, both in engineering and the humanities, and are regularly in the top of international rankings. Education in Russia is much more affordable than in the USA or UK. Moreover, international students have the opportunity to get the State scholarship for their study.

  2. Why SibFU?

    Today over 35,000 students are enrolled for 122 educational programs in 50 professional fields at Siberian Federal University (SibFU). It is one of the largest universities in Siberia and one of the most actively developing universities in Russia. The education at SibFU is based on the international standards. Another important feature of the education here is internships at the partner-enterprises of the University, which are the Russian Academy of Science (RAS), Federal Medical Biological Agency, RUSAL, Norilsk Nickel, Rosneft, Polyus, ROSATOM Group, RusHydro, Gazprom, and Rusnano. Orientation to the practices plays a key role in the modern world, and reflects the intention to contribute to solving the global challenges.

  3. What are the levels of higher education in Russia?

    The Russian present-day education system is based upon the Bologna principles and includes such levels of education as bachelor’s degree, specialist degree, master’s degree, postgraduate, clinical internship etc.

  4. What about adaptation for International Students?

    Russia is a multinational country, and representatives of the most diverse countries and cultures can easily adapt to life here. Russia is home to more than 200 ethnic groups that speak more than 100 different languages and dialects. The Russian constitution guarantees freedom of conscience: Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Judaists, and representatives of other confessions peacefully coexist here. Unsurprisingly, many foreigners arriving in Russia feel at home here. SibFU is proud of its long experience in the training and acclimatisation of international students: International Student and Staff Support Office (ISSSO) at SibFU provides the students with adaptation assistance and emergency services.

  5. What about Student Benefits?

    Students in Russia are eligible for a range of benefits including those for public transport, discounts for visiting museums, libraries, theatres, concert halls, parks and other public and entertainment facilities.

    SibFU will compensate the travel costs to your study destination after you are officially admitted to the 1st year of your degree program in 2020 as well as the cost of purchasing medical insurance, which is mandatory for migration registration on the territory of the Russian Federation (only for CIS countries and ex-compatriots).

    SibFU provides a discount of between 10 and 15 percent off the tuition fee for applicants with high entrance tests results (only for Bachelor and Specialist Degree applicants).

  6. What about accommodation in Krasnoyarsk?

    SibFU guarantees on-campus in-dorm accommodation within a walking distance from your study locations. The modern campus has 30 well-equipped up-to-date dormitories with basic amenities. Costs may vary from 8 to 16 USD per month depending on a dormitory level of comfort. Besides, after you have enrolled on a fee-paid program the University will be willing to offer you a cost-free place in an on-campus dorm.

    Off-campus accommodation rental prices may vary from 170 to 500 USD per month depending on certain district and the quality of basic amenities. But in general living in Krasnoyarsk is very affordable, you can maintain yourself on 250 USD (food, transportaiton, entertainment etc).

  7. How to learn Russian?

    SibFU provides students with an opportunity to learn Russian by studying on the Russian Language Preparation Programs or by participating in Summer Schools. The Russian Language Preparation Programs are available at SibFU in The Pre-Admission Russian as a Foreign Language (RFL) Department for International Students. Russian language and general disciplines courses (pre-university courses) are pre-admission programs for international students who are planning to apply for their Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree programs at Siberian Federal University or other Russian universities. Due to the COVID-19 situation the courses of Russian as a Foreign Language and the Russian Language Summer School will be held online this year.

  8. What is the reason to participate in a Summer School?

    Students can learn Russian by taking one of the courses of Russian as a Foreign Language or by participating in Summer Schools. Joining the School gives you an exciting opportunity to study the Russian language and culture in one of the most beautiful and unique places in Russia. Due to the COVID-19 situation, the courses of Russian as a Foreign Language and the Russian Language Summer School will be held online this year.

  9. Is there any scholarship?

    The Russian Government’s Scholarship covers full tuition and a monthly allowance. Travel costs, living expenses and a mandatory health insurance program are not included. The Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis.

    SibFU encourages undergraduate students to participate in the Open Doors, a Russian Scholarship Project held by the Global Universities Association, to have a chance to win a full scholarship to study at a Master’s program at one of the leading Russian universities.

    Siberian Federal University provides the opportunity for applicants with the status of ex-Compatriot to apply for state-funded places.

  10. Any entertainment on campus?

    SibFU has a modern campus with 30 fully-equipped up-to-date residence halls, 10 cafes and restaurants, Medical Centre, 4 dance halls, 3 music studios, 30 gyms, 2 swimming pools, 4 football pitches, and 3 skiing sites.

    A well-planned and friendly-designed campus infrastructure with plenty of places satisfying basic needs makes it a pleasurable and safe place to stay on. Landscape design of the campus, its mini-parks and green open spaces, pedestrian walkways have become a part of not only University hospitality tours but are favoured by the city residents and their guests.

  11. What can I expect after graduating from SibFU?

    You will be provided with extensive opportunities for personal growth and professional development. As a member of one of the leading universities in Russia you may contribute to the state-of-art research and collaborate with the leaders in your field. You may also participate in various educational and scientific projects and play an important role in teaching and supervising undergraduate and graduate students.

  12. What about admission this year?

    The current situation brought us new experience. Our real life has been replaced by online services. And even applying for studying at Siberian Federal University is possible right here as well. In case the mobility restrictions are not lifted and arriving in Krasnoyarsk is still impossible, the international students of Siberian Federal University will begin the academic year via online learning platforms. When international travel is deemed safe, the enrolled students will be able to come and will be accommodated in the rooms reserved for them in the SibFU dormitories.

    To learn more about Siberian Federal University follow the link.


Вы можете отметить интересные фрагменты текста, которые будут доступны по уникальной ссылке в адресной строке браузера.